- 1 1/2 sticks butter plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, star anise)
- 1 egg
- 5 ounces of hazelnuts, toasted and ground
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup raspberry jam (or your favorite type of jam)
- In a standing electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and add honey, zest, cinnamon and spices. Continue mixing for one more minute. Scrape down the sides and add egg. Mix again until well blended.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. On low speed, add the sifted dry ingredients to the butter mixture and continue to mix until a dough is formed.
- Remove the dough from the mixer, wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan. Line the bottom of the pan with wax or parchment paper. Remove dough from the refrigerator and divide in two. Dredge the work surface with flour and with a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thick, forming a 12-inch circle. This will be for the bottom of the torte. Line the bottom and sides of the prepared cake pan with the circle.
- For the top of the torte, use the second half of dough, roll it to 1/2-inch thick to create a 9-by-12-inch rectangle. Refrigerate both the top and bottom for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and fill bottom half with raspberry jam.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Create a lattice with the rectangular piece of dough by cutting 12 9-inch strips. (Use a piece of cardboard to build the lattice to make it easy to slide the lattice onto the bottom of the torte.) Slide the lattice onto the jam-filled bottom. Fold the edges of the dough up and over the top of the torte.
- 9. Bake in oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
For a holiday accent, sprinkle with confectioners sugar. And of course, Linzer Torte is always served with whipped cream!