Monday, January 15, 2007

Decisions..

We all make decisions while traveling along Hell's Highway, and we make them in all good faith. The problem with any decision is the variables of which we are blissfully unaware. Well, maybe not unaware, but certainly variables that we hope will not arise.

Decision #1.. A friend, having arrived at the motorcycle club house, placed a chain through his front wheel and around the fork assembly. He had heard about thefts in the area and was eager to protect his investment. I told him that he would ride away from the club house with the chain still affixed.

Decision #2.. Three of us decided to go for a ride mid evening. We worked out a route and set off. I was ahead of the other motorcycle, and overshot a turn that I should have made. I pulled up, and we discussed the route.

Decision #3.. Rather than turn back, we decided to make a correction to the route further ahead. I never reached the turn. Approximately two miles further, a car being driven by a learner driver pulled out in front of me. There was no chance of me stopping or avoiding the car. The motorcycle ploughed into the side, throwing my friend clear over the top and me directly into the car. The two friends following on the second motorcycle saw it all, and kept telling themselves that I would get up just like I always had. Unfortunately, my injuries were way too severe. There were no deaths, but two of us came very, very close. For the longest time, I held unpleasant feelings toward the driver of the car, but in fairness, I had not died so had something for which to be thankful.

I have recovered from the trauma, if not completely from injuries sustained. Thinking back, I wondered what might have happened had I taken the other route. As bad as events were that evening, I did survive. It could be that I did take the 'lucky' route. Maybe if I had taken the other, I would not be here now telling you about it.

Now back to decision #1 and the outcome. The two friends on the following motorcycle stayed with us until the ambulance arrived, after which they raced back to the motorcycle club to tell the others what had happened. In panic, the friend with the 'chained' motorcycle forgot about the chain, and rode some thirty ot forty yards across a piece of grass and onto the road before realizing that the front wheel was not turning. It was the one piece of humor to come out of that fateful day.

Next time you make a decision, don't write it in stone. By all means, hope for the outcome that you desire, but if the variables look to be stacked against you, or start to stack up along the way, it is time to turn back or look for an exit route.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN by ROBERT FROST

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.