Pizza Capricciosa: This is based on the Pizzaria Giancarlo, outside Florence's Porta San Frediano.
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or chopped canned tomatoes
- 1/4 pound shredded mozzarella
- 4-6 green or black olives (stoned) sliced thinly
- 6 small mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1 link sweet Italian sausage (about 2 inches long), skinned and shredded
- 8 thin slices salamino piccante (pepperoni in the anglo-saxon world)
- 2 ounces thinly sliced ham, shredded
- 2 canned artichoke hearts, quartered
Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza, sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the sauce, drizzle with a few drops olive oil and bake. For the very best pizza, always use a thin base. There is little worse than eating a pizza that has the consistency of carpet.
You can of course use any kind of ingredient in place of the Salamino Piccante, ham and Italian sausage. Try it with anchovies, prawns and/or mussels.